The first FX body! - a true gamechanger

Well, it's very hard to explain what I feel now. I'm a lucky and proud owner of a D600 - but it hasn't been the case until this week. Very fresh experiences straight from a new FX owner!


So, after the day I sold the D3200 with its accessories I already had a meeting, where I was going to see a D600. I was chatting with the seller on Facebook, and I asked her if she had a lens that I could try the camera out with, just to see what kind of image does it produce. My biggest surprise was that she had the exact same lens that I was willing to buy to mount on the new body - and it was for sale too! The camera had about 142.000 expos, which can sound a bit too much at first glance, but I've read several threads on forums, where the users said they're using their D600 far over 300.000 expos without any problems, so I thought that's not a deal-breaker. And sure it wasn't: I bought both the D600 and the Nikon 50mm 1.8G for less than $1000, which is a pretty damn good price for this kit, I think.


So I went home just to grab my SD cards, and just after that I went out to the neighborhood to take a test shot. Have a look!




You think the cat was too far away on the previous picture? Well, bring her closer at 100% crop, no problem, we've got a razor sharp image at f/1.8. Amazing!



After this test section, I used the camera at a family event in relatively low light, and there was no problem with the image quality, even at ISO 3200 (!!!). I took some portraits there too, and as far as I can tell, this is the place where the importance of sharpness and low-light performance really shines. 

So, my comparison with DX cameras:
  • FX cameras have far better low light performance, because of the very large sensor
  • no crop factor on FX (can be a pro but can be a con, but also, you can do the crop in post, as well as you have the DX crop mode in camera)
  • FX cameras are not compatible with DX lenses, just in DX crop mode (that means half of the resolution is gone; sad story, if you have a Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8)
I know, it's not a 100% fair comparison, because I'm comparing it to the D3200 really, but you can get an idea about the changes. The biggest jump is sharpness, which is on a whole new level, just as low light performance. These two are the most important changes.

These were the thoughts around my new Nikon D600 paired with the Nikon 50mm 1.8G. I can highly recommend these two for anybody, who wants their images to be nearly perfect, but also wants to keep the budget under $1000 or $1100 used.

Thanks for checking out this post, and I'll be back soon with another one. Stay tuned!



Until the next post, check out my work on:

Comments